Environment II (Environmental Protection in Mining & Metallurgy
|Course Direction:||Basic Courses|
A. Impact of Mining Activities on the Environment
- Introduction – Mining Activities and the Environment: Historical Perspective, Today’s Relation between Mining Activity and the Environment. Global Trends.
- Environmental Problems in Quarries (Industrial Minerals and Inert Materials). Visual Pollution – Noise Pollution – Dust Pollution. Case Studies.
- Environmental Problems in Marble Quarries. Rejects of Mining and Quarrying Activities. Case Studies.
- Environmental Problems in Other Mining Activities (Gold-Mines, etc.). Acid Outflow. Case Studies.
- Environmental Problems in Lignite Mines. Remediation of Mining Sites. Case Studies.
- Mining Activities and Future Progress in Greece. Perspectives.
B. Importance of Environmental Protection in Metallurgy and Materials Technology Flue Gases.
Flue-Gas Cleaning. Solid-Particles Removal Technologies. Flue-Gas Removal (SO2, Fluoro- and Chloro-Chemical Compounds, etc.). Liquid-Waste Treatment. Solids Retention (Thickening, Filtration). Heavy-Metals Retention (Physical, Chemical and Biological Methods). Acid Outflow. Reduction. Reverse Osmosis. Solid Wastes. Deposition of Solid Wastes (Industrial, Urban, Toxic). Metals, Alloys and Materials Recycling. Dilemma: Environmental Protection or Metallurgical Industries. Applications of Environmental Protection in Metallurgy and Materials Technology.